14 May 2013

Two Factor Authentication? Try OAuth!


UPD: no wonder, I missed the fact that OAuth providers use static passwords and it cannot be legit 2nd factor, just makes 1st factor harder to exploit. Thanks for feedback people from reddit!


Disclaimer: I'm noob in Two Factor Authentication (TFA). I got an idea today which I want to share and get feedback, your comments are totally welcome.

I don't have a mobile phone. Not only because russian mobile providers are cheaters (likely, same in your country) but also for many other reasons: traveling (my mastercard was blocked once in Sofia and I needed SMS approval code, which I couldn't receive — my mobile was "outside the coverage area" all the time), no daily usage (never needed to call someone ASAP in real life. maybe I am such a nerd), VoIP FTW etc — who cares, this is not my point.



The thing is all physical items (mobile phone, yubikey, token generators, biometrics of eye, fingerprints) are clone-able / steal-able or just not reliable enough (face/gesture/speech recognition).

Again, in disclaimer I said I don't know if scientists already created a universal reliable physical object for TFA, I just read wiki article a bit and seems they did not.

Why must Second Factor provider be a real object in our digital century? Is it really any better/safer (clearly less convenient) than yet another password or bunch of cookies our browsers store? I doubt.

In browser we trust.

OAuth is not supposed to authenticate you, no surprise here. Although an OAuth (or OpenID) provider can be trusted 3rd party which will approve the action your are about to commit.

Trusted 3rd Party Website
  1. every normal Internet user has or can register Facebook/Twitter/Paypal/Google account immediately with no "physical" hassle attached.
  2. Attack surface is added, attack complexity increases dramatically.
    example.com surface + twitter surface + facebook surface = hacker needs XSS or similar bug in two major social networks and your example.com password to log in your example.com account.
    Not enough? Add Paypal Connect. Add force-login option so attacker will need all of your passwords.

    The more guys say John is a reliable person I can trust, the more I believe he really is. And I don't need to look at John's tattoo (a poor analogy for biometrics) which he hates to show!
  3. Hassle-free. Just be logged in FB/twitter all the time and couple of quick OAuth redirects in iframes (no interaction required at all) will make sure that your current FB account is the one attached to example.com account, your current twitter user is equal example.com attached one.
    It can be simplified and more secured because you only need /me endpoint data, actual access_token will not be used. 
Leaving the post short by purpose, waiting for your ideas, perhaps I missed something huge. Thanks!